Radio Hyrule State of the Station 2014

My, my, how fast time flies. The last State of the Station address was already a year and a half ago! Crazy, right? Anyways, here's a breakdown of Radio Hyrule's current status and future goals.

Website

Things around the website have been pretty quiet in terms of updates and changes, but that's because everything has been running incredibly smoothly. With the recent success of our first mobile application, we've started looking at making a number of improvements we can make to the website (and apps) to offer a better experience.

• Track Requests: Austin and I have been working on creating a solution to better handle the growing number of track requests that we process on a daily basis. We're hoping to solve this problem as soon as we can, as we know it has a big impact on listening experience. We're looking at possibly adding a voting mechanism in order to cut back waiting times for requests to be aired.
  • Upvote/Downvote System: Like the track that's currently playing? Give it an upvote. Hate the current track? Downvote. Not only will this help us provide better track popularity statistics, it will help flag tracks that aren't well-liked so we can possibly weed them out if necessary.
  • Streamlined Layout: The website is due for a facelift, which looks like will be ready to go during the later portion of the year. Nothing huge, but we'd like to clean up some of the useless clutter and create something that's easier to use.

Mobile Applications

As you probably noticed, we launched a dedicated Radio Hyrule iOS app about 7 months ago and it's been a huge success. It's never been easier to listen to the music on the go and even request songs. Many thanks to all buyers for helping us maintain the app and station by purchasing the app. We've received a lot of positive feedback, and we're pretty proud of our 5-star rating we've been holding for a month in the US app store!

We will continue improving the app: A new social sharing feature was added in the latest version. Now you are able to post on social media about what you're listening to and what you like on Radio Hyrule!

We're also working on an Android version due to popular demand ;) Here's a sneak peek:

But please be aware that it's work in progress and it will take more time. Because even though it doesn't look too different, it's quite a different and more diverse environment than iOS, and we still want to deliver something to you that'll be fun to use.

So, what do you think?

Now is a great opportunity to share your own thoughts and ideas about Radio Hyrule. We really appreciate you listening to our radio station, and we would love to hear your suggestions.

Comments

Submitted by mightyrequester on Fri, 2014 Mar 14 - 16:55

The voting mechanism, in other words, lets you prioritize requests based on popularity, right? And the upvote and downvote system is akin to Facebook's like/dislike buttons? And you plan to possibly weed out very unpopular tracks? I think I have this right.
That aside, I don't know what "streamlined layout" means. Are you just prettying up the site?

Submitted by Clank on Fri, 2014 Mar 14 - 17:41

I actually wouldn't want them to remove the unpopular songs, maybe make it so they aren't chosen automatically when the cue is empty, but I wouldn't remove them.

Submitted by mightyrequester on Fri, 2014 Mar 14 - 21:15

Then how about the idea where they prioritize requests according to how many people request it. I think that's what they're saying. It sounds like a good idea.

maybe make it so they aren't chosen automatically

In that case, I think that's a better idea than simply removing them, as there are probably some who don't mind it.

Submitted by barefootsanfords on Fri, 2014 Mar 21 - 03:35

I don't think the songs should be prioritized by requests. As far as I can tell, the requests are unlimited, and high volume users of the website would be able to impact the prioritization over a long period of time.

The like or dislike option is one way to go. Each user having one vote is pretty good. You might even include a rating system (0 to 5 triforces or something). Then you can have the prioritization be a multiple of the average rating for the song. Just a thought.

Submitted by WolfLink on Sun, 2014 Mar 23 - 01:37

The point of requests is so users can hear the songs they want to hear, not necessarily what is popular. I like the variety that comes from hearing what other people choose. However, it might be a good idea to allow popular songs to be played more than once in a day. Currently, all songs can only be requested once, so sometimes when I want to request a favorite, I can't. Maybe it would be a good idea to allow popular songs to be played more often.

Submitted by mightyrequester on Mon, 2014 Mar 24 - 01:14

What I mean is that I try to request a song and I get the "song has already played" message. This may not be fixable, but there's also the fact that you sometimes have to wait in line for a requested song for quite a while. I once had to wait around 48 minutes! But that may not end up being a big deal as I understand it. And I for one do request songs I want to hear, popular or not.

Submitted by blhand26 on Sun, 2014 Mar 30 - 02:05

One time i had to wait a whole hour and a half. The usual wait time for me is about an hour. If it's ever under an hour I actually have a chance to listen to the song I requested! (I'm on the go a lot) It would be great to reduce wait time on songs users request and to be able to requests songs again if they haven't been played within the hour. Many times I log in to listen right after all my favorites have been played and have no chance of listening to them that day. :(

I'm not sure about this whole voting thing. I'd like a bit clearer of an explanation of it, which I'm sure we will get when they are closer to implementing the change. What would be real great is if each user could have their own person rating system to remind them which songs they did or didn't like. I'd find that real useful personally. That way when I'm browsing the library to look for new-to-me songs I don't accidentally request something that I actually had listened to before and didn't like. Yes, I know we have the favorites list, but I'm not going to put every single song that was decent or I didn't mind hearing; only special songs go on there.

Submitted by blhand26 on Sun, 2014 Mar 30 - 02:18

Also it'd be great if I could edit my favorites in the "my favorites" page. It'd be nice to able to organize the songs alphabetically, by artists, or just in my personal ranking order.

On a completely different note: When I use to listen online and clicked on "mainstream" it would go straight to iTunes and play it through there. Now it does what it use to do: jump to the http://listen.radiohyrule.com:8000/listen.m3u and take me away from the home page. If I can't go through iTunes anymore than it'd be nice to have the "mainstream" page open up in a different tab instead of replacing the window I'm on.

Submitted by smashingsoma on Sat, 2014 Mar 15 - 02:04

Even if a song isn't that popular, I don't think it should be removed. Someone put effort into making that song. It's kinda like a big slap to the face for that artist.

Submitted by cacoe_man on Fri, 2014 Mar 14 - 18:05

If this actually happens please let me know I will download it ASAP. i would also like a rough estimate of when it will be released on the play store. thanks! =)
-cacoe_man

Submitted by Soldier E on Fri, 2014 Mar 14 - 19:17

This sounds like a great plan, especially the upvote/downvote. I can't wait to see it all play out!

Submitted by erbilgerbil on Sat, 2014 Mar 15 - 05:09

I'm very excited to see how you guys are going to handle the new track request system. And I agree, the site does need a bit of a facelift, but I still enjoy the fantastic theme you guys have going on here. Best of luck to y'all.

Submitted by jjc1999 on Sat, 2014 Mar 15 - 16:50

I think there should be a way for users to suggest new songs to add to the station playlist.
I feel like you could expand your song list even more.

Submitted by WolfLink on Sun, 2014 Mar 16 - 23:01

What the app needs is to fully support RADIO HYRULE. That means support for VIEWING AND MANAGING YOUR FAVORITES. What the app definitely does NOT need is support for Facebook/Twitter/G+. What am I going to do with those? What is the point? Please work on making the app fully support Radio Hyrule before adding stupid and frivolous features.

Submitted by lykchen on Mon, 2014 Mar 17 - 21:01

I agree that social media integration is not as important as managing favorites. But it was much easier to add.
And because it came as a free update I think it's a bit unfair to be so angry about it...

Submitted by Jirb30 on Mon, 2014 Mar 17 - 12:40

I think it might be cool if you did Zelda podcasts every now and then.

Submitted by Neos_Prime on Fri, 2014 Mar 21 - 17:42

Ever since my iPod Touch broke, it hasn't been easy to tune in. That being said, I'm really excited for the Android version!

Keep up the great work!
-Neos

Submitted by Nintendo64Ever on Sun, 2014 Mar 23 - 01:01

I think putting a voting system in would be a awesome idea. Too many songs that are pritty much the same just gets repeated way too many times!

Submitted by EeveeA_ on Sun, 2014 Mar 30 - 01:47

Basically I'd think a good step forward would be an all-in-one place similar to the app but in browser. Past, current, future songs, requested, request, chat And the main that I think needs to be added. IF NOT REQUESTED, The ability to vote skip the song If not requested. Maybe based off of a % of listeners say skip? 51%? and if you vote don't skip it negates a vote to skip. I have allot of ideas but these two are the main, I have been an avid listener for years, I appreciate the work you guys have done to date, Arigatou.

Submitted by star4z on Mon, 2014 Mar 31 - 18:45

Can't wait for it to come to Android!
For me, actually, I hope the voting system deprioritizes unpopular songs because the ones I like are always at the top of the popular lists.